Gross Profit . Total gross profit increased 18% to $434.7 million. Used vehicle gross profit rose 21%, consistent with the increase in used unit sales, and used vehicle gross profit per unit remained comparable to the prior year at $2,174. Wholesale vehicle gross profit increased 3%, as the 10% increase in wholesale unit sales was partially offset by a decrease in wholesale vehicle gross profit per unit, which declined $58 to $849. Other gross profit increased 27%, driven by stronger ESP and service department profits, partially offset by the reduction in net third-party finance fees.
SG&A . Selling, general and administrative expenses increased 11% to $283.2 million. The increase reflected both higher variable selling costs resulting from the 16% increase in comparable store used unit sales and the 12% increase in our store base since the beginning of last year’s second quarter (representing the addition of 13 stores.) SG&A per retail unit declined $174 to $2,067, as our comparable store used unit growth generated significant overhead leverage.
CarMax Auto Finance . (1) CAF income increased 12% to $84.4 million. Average managed receivables grew 24% to $6.52 billion, reflecting the rise in CAF origination volumes in recent years resulting from an expansion of CAF’s loan penetration rate, as well as our retail unit sales growth and higher average amounts financed. The effect of the increase in managed receivables on CAF income was partially offset by a lower total interest margin rate, which declined to 7.0% of average managed receivables in the current quarter from 7.6% in last year’s second quarter. The interest margin reflects the spread between interest and fees charged to consumers and our funding costs.
As a percent of ending managed receivables, the allowance for loan losses increased modestly to 1.0% as of August 31, 2013, compared with 0.9% as of August 31, 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV