CarMax, Inc. (NYSE:KMX) today reported record second quarter results for the quarter ended August 31, 2013.
- Net sales and operating revenues increased 18% to $3.25 billion.
- Used unit sales in comparable stores increased 16%.
- Total used unit sales rose 21%.
- Total wholesale unit sales increased 10%.
- CarMax Auto Finance (CAF) income increased 12% to $84.4 million.
- Net earnings grew 26% to $140.3 million. Net earnings per diluted share rose 29% to $0.62.
“We are very pleased with our continued strong sales and earnings growth,” said Tom Folliard, president and chief executive officer. “The improvement was driven by several contributors, including double-digit growth in used and wholesale unit sales and CAF income.”
Second Quarter Business Performance Review
Sales . Total used vehicle unit sales grew 21% and comparable store used units grew 16% versus the prior year’s second quarter. Comparable store used unit sales benefited from improved execution in our stores and an attractive consumer credit environment, as well as a modest increase in store traffic.Wholesale vehicle unit sales grew 10% compared with last year’s quarter. Wholesale unit sales benefited from an increase in the appraisal buy rate and the growth in our store base. Other sales and revenues increased 5% year-over-year, as an increase in extended service plan (ESP) revenues was largely offset by a reduction in net third-party finance fees. ESP revenues climbed 23%, reflecting both the increase in used unit sales and higher ESP penetration. Net third-party finance fees declined $9.2 million as the third-party subprime providers (those who purchase financings at a discount) originated 18% of used vehicle unit sales in the current quarter versus 15% in the prior year’s second quarter. We believe that attractive offers by our third-party providers continued to support the increase in subprime financings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV