eBay, one of the world’s largest online marketplaces and Argos, the UK’s leading general merchandise retailer, have joined forces to offer a Click & Collect service, enabling shoppers to purchase products from selected eBay merchants and pick them up at Argos stores throughout the UK.
eBay’s marketplace and Argos’ store network make a powerful and unique combination - a first for the UK. At least 50 eBay merchants will participate in this trial, enabling a wide range of merchandise to be readily available for collection by customers from around 150 Argos stores in primary locations nationally.
As shoppers continue to use digital channels and demand a variety of convenient fulfilment methods for their orders, Click & Collect is expected to grow significantly in the UK. According to the Econsultancy Online Shopping Survey, 40% of UK shoppers used some form of Click & Collect service over Christmas 2012.
This trial delivers what shoppers want: choice, convenience and speed – the opportunity to shop anytime, anywhere, on any device. Customers want to feel inspired by the product on offer; engage in the shopping experience; feel reassured that their transaction is secure and that their purchase will be delivered on time to a location convenient to them.As Devin Wenig, President, eBay says; “The distinction between offline and online shopping continues to blur. At eBay we continue to find new ways to connect buyers and sellers. Our mission is connecting people with the things they need and love. Traditional retail isn’t going away; it is transforming. Smart retailers are innovating, reimagining the store and what it means to shop. We’re proud to join Argos on this journey. Their unique store network and operating model is fit for serving customers in a digital future. This exciting pilot takes us one step nearer to our goal of offering customers an inspired and seamless shopping experience.” John Walden, Managing Director, Argos said: “With the continuing growth of online shopping, customers increasingly expect faster, cheaper and more convenient fulfilment of their orders. Few companies move as many products as effectively as Argos through a national network of local stores, served by friendly and well-trained colleagues. Having pioneered Click & Collect in the year 2000, it now accounts for around a third of our business and continues to grow. eBay, an innovator in digital and leading online marketplace connecting sellers and consumers, is already a strong partner with Argos and a logical partner for the trial. We look forward to assessing the opportunity for Argos to provide fulfilment for eBay’s merchants, including the operational requirements, attractiveness to sellers and consumers, and opportunity for increased customer footfall." Notes to editor
- In a further milestone, eBay has also today announced that all of its retail partners who have an existing Click & Collect capability will soon (Q4) be able to offer this service to their eBay customers.
- Argos has led the way pioneering Click & Collect since 2000. This segment of Argos’ business has now grown to around a third of sales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV