LONDON, Sept. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] has made performing routine maintenance and diagnosing aircraft issues faster and easier for airline technicians with a suite of new mobile applications for iPad. With the apps, technicians will have immediate access to manuals, part numbers and other critical information to resolve maintenance issues plane-side and collaborate with co-workers located elsewhere. As a result, airlines can enhance real-time regulatory compliance, reduce flight delays and reduce operational costs. Demonstrations will be offered at MRO Europe this week.
Boeing worked with several airlines for more than a year on the prototype, incorporating their input to optimize the user interface and maximize utility for line mechanics. Technicians will have instant access to critical information, including the maintenance history of an aircraft, when they need it most. The application suite includes Toolbox Mobile Library, Toolbox Mobile Parts and Maintenance Turn Time.
"Mobile technology is an important aspect of our digital airline strategy, which is to harness the power of information, technology and analytics to create insights that give our customers the Boeing Edge: a competitive advantage in the marketplace," said John Maggiore, director of Fleet and Maintenance Solutions, Boeing Digital Aviation. "Data-driven optimization across flight operations, airspace and maintenance operations is saving aircraft operators millions of dollars in operating costs today. This is an exciting new chapter of that journey."
Features of the new maintenance apps include:
- A Toolbox Mobile Library, which will provide technicians access to maintenance documents for instant reference and use, wherever and whenever needed.
- Hyperlinks between multiple manuals and airline-created content that will expedite access to critical documents so that users can easily search for documents and information about parts and fault histories.
- A Toolbox Mobile Parts app which enables technicians to instantly retrieve information about part availability, including the airline's most current inventory information.
- Maintenance Turn Time, which gives technicians a secure connection to collaborate with their colleagues when troubleshooting a maintenance issue. A technician can take a photo of a damaged part, upload it for others to see and annotate and then share information about maintenance issues with their peers in real time. Maintenance Turn Time is available for the iPad, iPhone and a web browser.
- The ability to update reference manuals with one tap on the iPad screen. Alaska Airlines technicians estimate that using the apps on a 0.69-pound iPad mini to access critical information will save 4,000 pieces of paper a day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV