Finding fun ways to get active in Sacramento just got easier. Today, Mayor Kevin Johnson joined Coca-Cola to unveil a substantial program to help bolster the city’s health and fitness initiatives.
Totaling $192,500, the grant from The Coca-Cola Foundation to the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) will be used by the City of Sacramento’s Department of Parks and Recreation (SPDR). The grant will help the city to marshal fitness resources for neighborhoods through multiple initiatives
As part of the Coca-Cola Troops for Fitness program, the funding will help to offer programs and classes instructed by 14 military veterans at five recreation centers. The veterans will lead walking workouts, gardening for health, heart-healthy dance, exercise boot camp, Taiji, golf to good health, and healthy nutrition.
“Together with Mayor Johnson, we are making health and wellness programs accessible to every Sacramentan,” said Rick Frazier, Chief Product Supply and Service Officer, Coca-Cola Refreshments. “We believe this initiative can create real results by encouraging and helping people of all ages to exercise and learn to live a balanced lifestyle.”Mayor Kevin Johnson said access to nutrition education and physical activity programs in underserved neighborhoods is a high priority for his office. “This project will provide health and fitness resources across the city of Sacramento. It will reach the communities that need it most while providing employment opportunities for our nation’s heroes,” he said. The parks programs are described as:
- Walk and Talk with a Vet
- Weekly walking workouts led by a veteran
- Gardening for Healthy Living
- A gardening course which teaches the easiest methods of growing and cultivating fruits and vegetables.
- Dance Your Way to Heart Health
- Participants learn how dancing can be a fun form of exercise and regular way to enjoy healthy living.
- Exercise Boot Camp
- Classes designed to improve heart health. Their purpose is to strengthen and tone, getting participants more active and energized.
- Taiji (Tai Chi)
- Tai Chi was originally created as a martial art. Practicing Tai Chi can improve one’s health, reduce tension and reduce blood pressure and heart problems.
- A course that teaches which foods have the most nutritional benefit and which foods should be eaten in moderation.
- Swing for Your Health
- Golf for a healthier lifestyle and wellbeing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV