LOS ANGELES, Sept. 23, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Sport Chalet, Inc. (Nasdaq:SPCHA) (Nasdaq:SPCHB), a premier, full service specialty sporting goods retailer, today announced that it has launched a process to identify strategic partners to accelerate the company's growth strategy. Sport Chalet has engaged Cappello Capital Corp. as its exclusive financial advisor to assist in exploring a range of options including strategic partners, investors, alliances and joint ventures.
- Next Generation Store Format June 2013 marked the grand opening of Sport Chalet's first next generation store. At 27,000 square feet, the downtown Los Angeles store is significantly smaller than the traditional Sport Chalet store. The smaller, more flexible floor plan allows for rapid reset of fixtures and displays to best reflect changing customer needs and preferences. Based on the early success of the new store, the company believes there are opportunities for geographic expansion inside and outside of its core markets utilizing the new format.
- Online Store Growth Sport Chalet's online platform is already an important growth driver for the company, with a year-over-year sales increase of 38% during the quarter ended June 30, 2013. The online store is also an important tool in introducing the Sport Chalet brand and products to consumers outside of the company's core west coast markets, with almost half of online sales coming from states where Sport Chalet does not have stores. These states offer opportunity for additional online growth and may also become attractive locations for new stores. Sport Chalet plans to continue to add services, such as its vendor direct-to-customer drop ship services, and to invest in marketing initiatives designed to drive customers across the country to its website. The company's recently launched Team Sales website is another long-term and differentiated growth and expansion opportunity.
- Leveraging Technology and Data Sport Chalet leverages its technology and data collection capabilities to enhance customer service. The company plans to continue to invest in technology and data to drive sales through personal customer marketing campaigns, to tailor the merchandise mix to customer preferences in each store and market and to optimize inventory.
- Mobile and Digital Leadership The company is dedicated to offering industry-leading mobile and digital access to capture customer attention and product sales and to engage with customers when and how they choose.
- Local Marketing Programs Sport Chalet connects with the communities it serves through local marketing and community-based merchandising programs. The company intends to strengthen its brand identity in local markets through innovative programs, including micro-merchandising initiatives.