Aetna (NYSE: AET) today announced an accountable care collaboration and the introduction of Aetna Whole Health SM, a new commercial health care product that provides members access to highly coordinated care from physicians and facilities in the Sharp HealthCare system. The new product, effective February 1, will be available to self-insured and fully insured businesses with greater than 100 employees who reside in San Diego County.
Aetna previously announced an accountable care collaboration with Sharp Community Medical Group in December 2011. The expansion of the collaboration will now include the Sharp Rees-Stealy clinics and physicians and the Sharp hospitals and ancillary facilities.
“We are excited at the opportunity to expand our collaboration with Sharp,” said Brian Ternan, Aetna’s president for Southern California. “Adding the Sharp Rees-Stealy clinics and physicians along with the Sharp hospitals and ancillary facilities will allow us to continue to improve the care for our members in San Diego County and ensure that they live healthier, more productive lives.”
The accountable care collaboration will give employers better health care options for their employees, and will feature a new model of health care delivery designed to offer:
- A more coordinated, personalized experience for patients;
- Cost savings to employees who use providers in the Accountable Care Network; and
- Better health care outcomes.
- Better management of patients with chronic conditions such as diabetes and heart failure;
- Reductions in avoidable hospital readmission rates; and
- Reductions in emergency room visits.