For me at least, my skepticism is accompanied by irritation with the politicians who are using "global warming" as a scare tactic in order to influence our behavior. Some have turned it into a de facto religion, and it has backfired on them. The chicken little routine has simply not been effective.
If indeed, global warming is a myth, as I believe it is, I'd look at one of the industries hardest hit by new regulations that are primarily from the Environmental Protection Agency. The coal industry is being decimated given stricter limits being placed on it and the increased costs of compliance.
Names like Arch Coal (ACI) (down about 35% year to date), Peabody Energy (BTU) (down about 30% year to date), Alpha Natural Resources (ANR) (down 36% year to date), Walter Energy (WLT) (down about 58% year to date) have been hit hard. Yet coal remains one of our most prevalent natural resources and was the source of 37% of our power generation in 2012. The question is, can things get worse for this industry, or are the negatives surrounding it already priced in?
Part of the answer may have to do with our own appetite for EPA regulations that force higher electricity prices, something President Obama publicly stated as a goal prior to his election in 2008. But administrations come and go, science is ultimately proved right or wrong, and regulations change.At the time of publication, Heller had no positions in stocks mentioned. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV