BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Investors didn't see it coming last Wednesday, when Bernanke and company at the Fed announced that the taper talk was being, well, tapered. And markets have been playing catch-up ever since.
With the winding down of QE postponed (at least for a little while longer) investors can turn their attention to more pressing matters: like yet another debt ceiling gun to Uncle Sam's head. Left unsettled, the government shutdown would kick off on Oct. 1.
I'll make a bold prediction: Politicians on both sides will prolong the drama until the last possible second, and then they'll resolve things by deciding to figure it out later on. The key difference between now and the last go-around is that at least the markets are getting used to the conspicuous dysfunction on Capitol Hill. In fact, some names are well positioned to rally into the end of September.To get the most bang for our buck this week, we're turning to a new set of Rocket Stocks. >>5 Stocks Ready to Break Out For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 215 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 90.7%. Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV