Ennis, Inc. (the “Company"), (NYSE: EBF), today reported financial results for the three and six months ended August 31, 2013. Highlights for the quarter include:
Consolidated gross profit margin increased 260 basis points for the
quarter and 440 basis points for the period.
- Apparel gross profit margin increased 870 basis points for the quarter and 1,110 basis points for the period.
- Diluted EPS increased 31.0% to $0.38 per share for the quarter and 59.1% to $0.70 per share for the period.
The Company’s consolidated net sales for the quarter were $135.3 million compared to $138.3 million for the same quarter last year. Print sales were down 8.2% on a comparable quarter basis, from $86.1 million to $79.0 million. Apparel sales increased 7.6% (volume up 12.7% and selling price per unit down 4.9%) for the comparable quarter, from $52.3 million to $56.3 million. Consolidated gross profit margin ("margin") for the quarter increased 260 basis points from 24.5%, for the same quarter last year, to 27.1%. For a quarter comparison basis, print margin remained relatively stable at 30.0% plus, while apparel margin increased from 14.4% to 23.1%. Apparel margin continued to increase on both a comparable and sequential quarter basis, due to lower input costs and higher production levels. As a result, net earnings increased from $7.6 million, or 5.5% of net sales, for the quarter ended August 31, 2012 to $9.8 million, or 7.2% of net sales, for the quarter ended August 31, 2013. Diluted earnings per share increased 31.0% from $0.29 for the 2012 quarter to $0.38 for the 2013 quarter.
For the six month period, net sales decreased from $280.9 million to $273.8 million, or 2.5%. Print sales for the six month period were $160.4 million, compared to $173.4 million for the same period last year, a decrease of $13.0 million, or 7.5%. Apparel sales for the six month period were $113.4 million, compared to $107.5 million for the same period last year, or an increase of $5.9 million or 5.5% (volume up 11.6% and price down 6.1%). The consolidated margin increased from 22.1% to 26.5% for the six months ended August 31, 2012 and 2013, respectively. Print margin increased during the period from 29.3% to 29.9%, as a result of the elimination of duplicative costs associated with the integration of acquisitions. Apparel margin increased 1,110 basis points from 10.6% to 21.7% during the period, due to lower input costs and increased production levels. Net earnings increased from $11.5 million, or 4.1% of net sales, for the six months ended August 31, 2012 to $18.3 million, or 6.7% of net sales, for the six months ended August 31, 2013. Diluted earnings per share increased 59.1% from $0.44 to $0.70 for the six months ended August 31, 2012 and 2013, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV