Some players in the options market seem concerned that financials might falter in the months ahead, as XLF saw a surge of put activity on Friday. Nearly 900,000 put options traded on the financial ETF. It was the most put activity in XLF in over a year, 11X the normal put volume, and compared to call volume of just 43,000 contracts.
A large chunk of Friday's put activity was due to spread trading. In morning action, an investor sold 96,000 October 17/19 put spreads on XLF and sold 96,000 October 18/20 put spreads, collecting $0.18 net on the two October out-of-the-money spreads. At the same time, the same investor also bought 192,000 December 18/20 put spreads for $0.38. While the spreads in October options were closing, a new position was opened in December.
The huge spreads in XLF Friday probably adjusted a hedging strategy against a portfolio of financial names. With XLF revisiting its 52-week highs on Wednesday, the investor was probably rolling a protective put strategy out to December from October to buy more time. Nevertheless, since the December 18/20 put spread represents a whopping $390 million in notional value, it is unlikely that the position would be initiated unless the investor has very serious concerns about the short-term outlook for the banks, brokers, and other financial components of the XLF.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV