NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) set a new record in iPhone sales with 9 million of its recently-released iPhone 5s and 5c models sold since Friday. This was well above estimates of between 5 and 6 million.
"This is our best iPhone launch yet - more than 9 million new iPhones sold - a new record for first weekend sales," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a company press release. "The demand for the new iPhones has been incredible."
So incredible in fact that demand quickly exceeded the initial supply. Online orders are scheduled for shipment over the next few weeks and stores are slated to receive new iPhone shipments shortly.
In addition to the new hardware, Apple released its software upgrade, iOS 7, which has been downloaded to more than 200 million devices since last week.Apple says it now expects its fourth-quarter revenue to be around $37 billion. Apple shares were up 4.44% as of 10 a.m. EST, following erratic trading since the new models were unveiled on September 10. Thus far, 7.11 million Apple shares changed hands, almost half of its total daily average volume of 15.28 million. Overall, Apple is leading the S&P 500 which is down 0.36%. TheStreet Ratings team rates Apple as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate Apple a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- AAPL's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 0.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- AAPL's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.14 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, AAPL has a quick ratio of 1.54, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- 41.67% is the gross profit margin for Apple which we consider to be strong. Regardless of AAPL's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, AAPL's net profit margin of 19.53% compares favorably to the industry average.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. When compared to other companies in the Computers & Peripherals industry and the overall market, Apple's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- Apple's earnings per share declined by 19.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, Apple increased its bottom line by earning $44.16 versus $27.67 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 11.6% in earnings ($39.05 vs. $44.16).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AAPL Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV