Select Income REIT (NYSE:SIR) today announced the restructuring of its management agreement with Reit Management & Research LLC (RMR) and the recommendation to shareholders to have annual election of all Trustees.
Restructuring of Management Agreement with RMR.
SIR and RMR have agreed to restructure their business management agreement as follows:
- The base business management fees paid by SIR to RMR, which are included in SIR’s “G&A” expenses, are currently calculated at the annual rate of approximately 0.5% of the gross historical cost of SIR’s real estate assets. Beginning in 2014, these fees will be calculated on the basis of the lower of: (i) gross historical cost of SIR’s real estate assets or (ii) SIR’s total market capitalization. Market capitalization will include the market value of SIR’s common shares, plus the liquidation preference of preferred shares and the principal amount of debt. The market value of SIR’s common shares will be calculated based on the average shares outstanding multiplied by the average closing share price during the period in which the fees are earned. Accordingly, SIR’s fees paid to RMR may decline when the market value of SIR’s common shares declines.
- All of the base business management fees currently paid by SIR to RMR are paid in cash. Beginning in 2014, 10% of the base business management fees will be paid in common shares of SIR. The amount of SIR common shares granted as part of the base business management fee will be calculated based on the average closing share price during the period in which the fees are earned. Accordingly, RMR’s common share ownership of SIR is expected to increase over time.
- Annual incentive fees payable by SIR to RMR included in SIR’s “G&A” expenses are currently calculated based upon increases in funds from operations (FFO) per share and are paid in common shares of SIR which vest immediately. Beginning in 2014, the incentive fees which may be earned by RMR will be calculated based upon total returns realized by SIR common shareholders (i.e., share price appreciation plus dividends) in excess of benchmarks. The benchmarks will be set by the Compensation Committee of SIR’s Board (which is comprised solely of Independent Trustees) and will be disclosed in SIR’s annual meeting proxy statements. Incentive fees will be paid in common shares of SIR which will vest over a multiyear period and will be subject to a “claw back” in the event of certain material restatements of financial results. Accordingly, the incentive fees payable to RMR are expected to have a direct relationship to total returns realized by SIR common shareholders.
Recommending Annual Election of All Trustees.The SIR Board of Trustees has determined to recommend to shareholders that SIR’s Declaration of Trust be amended to permit the annual election of all Trustees. SIR’s Trustees currently serve staggered, three year terms. The proposed amendment to SIR’s Declaration of Trust will be presented to SIR’s shareholders at SIR’s next annual shareholders’ meeting in the spring of 2014. If this amendment is approved by SIR’s shareholders, all Trustees will thereafter be elected for one year terms.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV