Another biotechnology player that looks poised to trigger a big breakout trade is Vanda Pharmaceuticals (VNDA), which is focused on the development and commercialization of clinical-stage drug candidates for central nervous system disorders. This stock has been on fire so far in 2013, with shares up a whopping 258%.
If you take a look at the chart for Vanda Pharmaceuticals, you'll notice that this stock has recently broke out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $12.34 to $12.66 a share with solid upside volume. So far, this breakout has held and now shares of VNDA are quickly moving within range of triggering an even bigger breakout trade.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in VNDA if it manages to break out above its 52-week high at $13.30 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above that level with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action 908,467 shares. If that breakout hits soon, then VNDA will set up to enter new 52-week-high territory, which is bullish technical price action. Some possible upside targets off that breakout are $15 to $17 a share. Traders can look to buy VNDA off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below some near-term support at $12 a share. One could also buy VNDA off strength once it takes out $13.30 a share with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV