[video] Quick Take: Emerging Markets Move Past Taper Talk
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- While emerging markets were getting slammed ahead of the Federal Reserve's meeting, its decision not to taper bond buying has created some areas of opportunity.
Schroders Director of Latin America James Barrineau told TheStreet's Gregg Greenberg that instability in the Treasury market sends ripples all throughout fixed-income. He added that if the Fed can pull off a taper without disrupting the Treasury market, then this will bode well for emerging markets.
Although China is a large component in the emerging market space, it's not the only piece that matters. Barrineau said the Chinese activity is a good indicator for other emerging markets and its stability helps in commodity prices. He likes the three-year bonds from Chinese properties, which yield between 8% to 12% and have little volatility.
He concluded that his favorite areas in emerging markets were local currencies and local rates, the latter of which will rebound strongly when the Fed is out of the economic picture. He suggested investors avoid dollar-sovereign debt that is linked to Treasuries, especially for those that want to avoid interest-rate risk.-- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV