[video] Quick Take: Emerging Markets Move Past Taper Talk
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- While emerging markets were getting slammed ahead of the Federal Reserve's meeting, its decision not to taper bond buying has created some areas of opportunity.
Schroders Director of Latin America James Barrineau told TheStreet's Gregg Greenberg that instability in the Treasury market sends ripples all throughout fixed-income. He added that if the Fed can pull off a taper without disrupting the Treasury market, then this will bode well for emerging markets.
Although China is a large component in the emerging market space, it's not the only piece that matters. Barrineau said the Chinese activity is a good indicator for other emerging markets and its stability helps in commodity prices. He likes the three-year bonds from Chinese properties, which yield between 8% to 12% and have little volatility.
He concluded that his favorite areas in emerging markets were local currencies and local rates, the latter of which will rebound strongly when the Fed is out of the economic picture. He suggested investors avoid dollar-sovereign debt that is linked to Treasuries, especially for those that want to avoid interest-rate risk.-- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV