NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Recently we looked at multi-asset class funds and whether they could serve as a one-holding portfolio. The latest fund to join the discussion is the ETRACS Diversified High Income ETN (DVHI). The new fund seeks to offer a 60% equities/40% fixed-income target allocation, a common mix for individual investors.
The equity portion is comprised of business development companies (15%); master-limited partnerships (15%); and mortgage real estate investment trusts, non-mortgage REITs, U.S. equities and foreign equities (all 7.5%).
The fixed-income portion puts an equal 10% into preferred stocks, emerging-market bonds, municipal bonds and high-yield bonds.
ETRACS reports the yield of the underlying index to be 7.71%, which after accounting for the 0.84% "annual tracking rate" could put the fund's yield at 6.87%. DVHI will pay monthly, but the rate paid could vary. It is important to remember that with all exchange-traded products, any future yield could be more or less than what is now indicated.The individual holdings in DVHI are a combination of individual issues and exchange-traded funds. Two of the segments owned by the fund are captured with just one ETF. The PowerShares Emerging Markets Sovereign Debt Portfolio (PCY) is the sole holding for emerging-market debt. For high-yield debt, DVHI goes with iShares iBoxx High Yield Corporate Bond ETF (HYG). The two largest individual holdings in the fund are Ares Capital (ARCC), a business development company, and Energy Transfer Partners (ETP), an MLP. The composition of the fund should make it clear that the two priorities under the hood are diversification and yield. That should appeal to many investors. The fund, however, is exposed to a lot of interest rate risk. Earlier this week, markets were granted a reprieve when the Federal Reserve's Open Markets Committee announced that it wouldn't begin to reduce its bond-buying program.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV