From building a playground in Massachusetts to spending time with multiple sclerosis patients in Portugal, over 1,900 Biogen Idec (NASDAQ: BIIB) employees will trade in their lab coats and computers today to participate in the company’s third annual “Care Deeply Volunteer Day.”
For this day of service, Biogen Idec employees are given a paid day off to volunteer at a service project in their community. This year, employees are estimated to serve over 9,500 volunteer hours in more than 28 countries in the communities where the company operates.
“This innovative program engages our employees in causes that help satisfy their passion and desire to contribute to their communities, while sharing their talents and energy in ways that aligns with our mission of caring deeply and changing lives,” said George A. Scangos, Ph.D., CEO, Biogen Idec. “We are proud of the positive impact we have been able to make in the communities in which we operate and are excited that this program continues to expand. This will be the most global Care Deeply Volunteer Day so far, with all 28 Biogen Idec affiliate offices participating in the program in countries from Singapore to Norway to India and beyond.”
Within the scope of Biogen Idec’s citizenship efforts, which incorporate a focus on patients, science education and supporting the needs of local non-profit community organizations, “Care Deeply Volunteer Day” projects around the world include:
- In Lisbon, Portugal, employees will spend the day with multiple sclerosis patients at the Sociedade Portuguesa de Esclerose Múltipla (SPEM). Together, the patients and volunteers will prepare meals together.
- In Boston, employees will host a science fair for elementary school students at the Murphy Elementary School. The science fair activities include demonstrating chemistry’s role in making ice cream, a molecule experiment to make “slime,” and a mock oil spill clean-up.
- In Somerville, Mass., employees will work alongside KaBOOM!, and members of the community to build a playground that will benefit more than 200 under-served children at The Elizabeth Peabody House.
- In Raleigh, N.C., employees will glean crops and perform other gardening tasks at the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle, which aims to end hunger in the community by providing people with access to fresh food.
- In Sydney, Australia, volunteers will visit patients at Wesley Mission Aged Care Services where they will play games and then enjoy a concert with residents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV