2. Ask for recommendations
"Your background needs to represent you in the best possible way," Ide says. "It's always hard to say great things about yourself, but you need to have those things up there, and that's where recommendations come in."
It's most beneficial when people who can speak to the quality of your work are the ones who recommend you, Ide explains. While it's great if a college professor can offer their support, it's best if a former boss or direct report can contribute thoughts about their recent one-on-one experiences with you.
Additionally, Brown says that targeted recommendations are the most beneficial."It's not enough to have a recommendation that says, 'He is a nice person.' You've got to have one that highlights your transferable skill set." To ask someone for a recommendation, Ide says a simple approach is best. "Say to them, 'One of the things I am trying to be aware of is my social profile, and I'm trying to better my LinkedIn presence. I know you have a good idea of the quality of work I produce -- would you mind writing a recommendation?'" Of course, when you ask for a recommendation, be prepared to reciprocate, Ide says. "Before you reach out, consider whether or not you'd feel comfortable writing one for them, because there's a good chance they'll ask," he says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV