Unilever Expanding West Tenn. Ice Cream Factory
Unilever and Nestle own more than 40 percent of the U.S. ice cream and frozen novelties market, Brockman said.
"Expansion of capacity in the U.S. for Unilever reflects the fact that it clearly feels it has the opportunity to expand its position in the market and to overtake Nestle there," Brockman wrote in an email.
Haslam thanked the company for its investment in Tipton County, where it is the largest employer. The factory was opened in 1996 by Land O'Lakes Inc., which packed Slim-Fast products. Unilever bought Slim-Fast in 2000 and began making ice cream in Covington in 2011.
County Executive Jeff Huffman said the factory jobs help improve the economy in a region that lost a significant amount of manufacturing jobs in recent years, caused by the economic downturn. The unemployment rate in Tipton County is about 9.7 percent, higher than the national rate of 7.3 percent, according to federal government statistics.Huffman said 60 high school seniors received scholarships as part of a payment-in-lieu of taxes plan, which also created an $8.6 million tax incentive over 10 years for Unilever. "West Tennessee needs more good news like this," Huffman said. Along with its ice cream brands, Unilever's portfolio of food, home and personal care products also includes Axe, Country Crock, Dove, Knorr, Hellman's, Ragu, Vaseline, and Wish-Bone.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV