NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- On more than one occasion, I've raised concerns about what appears to be constant misdirection at Pep Boys (PBY). The company's been leaking oil for as long as I can remember.
But it hasn't always been its fault. Given the lackluster results from rivals Advance Auto Parts (AAP) and AutoZone (AZO), it is fair to say Pep Boys, which has been marred with weak same-store sales and eroding margins, has not been alone in its struggles.
I won't deny that after a couple of tune-ups, management had made meaningful progress. But I'm still concerned by the air being sucked out of the company's operating model. Not to mention, Wal-Mart (WMT), which has an auto services business of its own, is beginning to encroach more on Pep Boys' merchandise business and its services revenue.
However, with shares of Pep Boys now up more than 22% year to date, the Street assumes the company will eventually get its house in order. But that has always been a big bet. It's not the first time investors have chosen a favorite, even if the business model looks flawed. But Pep Boys, which has become a perpetual turnaround story for 15 years, no longer deserves the type of pass that it has gotten.(MCD), I'm willing to give Pep Boys the benefit of the doubt, accepting that consumers might have postponed vehicle repairs due to the weak economy. But here's the thing: I said this same thing regarding Pep Boys not only last year, but also several months ago. After Monday's debacle, which included a 9-cents earnings miss and a revenue shortfall, there's no place today for Pep Boys to hide.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV