Later on Thursday the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau announced that subsidiaries of JPMorgan had already refunded $309 million in fees paid by customers, resulting from "illegal credit card practices." The refunds went to roughly 2.1 million customers, to whom JPMorgan subsidiaries sold "credit monitoring" or "credit protection" products from 2005 through June 2012.
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency also fined JPMorgan $60 million, which the regulator in a statement said reflected "the scope and duration of the violations and financial harm to consumers from the unfair practices."
JPMorgan Chase's total regulatory tab on Thursday came to $1.289 billion. The company's CFO Marianne Lake at a conference on Sept. 9 had said JPM was expecting net losses in its mortgage origination business during the second half of 2013, and that a "crescendo" of regulatory activity would lead to additions to third-quarter additions to litigation reserves "which will more than offset the $1.5 billion or so of consumer reserve releases."
The Wall Street Journal reported last week that JPMorgan expected its additional costs for enhanced regulatory compliance -- including legal expenses and the hiring of 5,000 employees -- would total $4 billion during the second half of 2013.But even that figure is significantly lower than the pretax losses from the "London Whale" last year, when JPMorgan booked net income of $21.3 billion, or $5.20 a share, which was the company's third-straight record annual profit. JPMorgan's shares were down 1.2% to close at $52.75. JPM data by YCharts
Interested in more on JPMorgan Chase? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn ---
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV