ATA Applauds House Committee Passage Of Sleep Apnea Bill
ARLINGTON, Va., Sept. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, the American Trucking Associations applauded the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee for its swift approval of a bill that would prevent the Obama administration from using informal guidance to address sleep apnea.
"ATA believes that testing alone for obstructive sleep apnea of truck drivers could cost the industry nearly $1 billion," said ATA President and CEO Bill Graves. "If our industry is to be burdened with such a cost, then the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration owes it to trucking to conduct a full and thorough rulemaking, including collection of scientific data and a cost-benefit analysis."
The bill, which was introduced by Reps. Larry Bucshon (R-Ind.) and Dan Lipinski (D – Ill.), just last Thursday, has broad bipartisan support, already garnering nearly 50 cosponsors. The bill is being credited for the sudden receptiveness by FMCSA to a rulemaking. Nevertheless, members at this morning's markup agreed that there is still a need for the legislation."We'd like to thank Reps. Bucshon and Lipinski, as well as all our supporters in the House for moving this important bill forward," Graves said. "While FMCSA has said they are receptive to a rulemaking process in lieu of sleep apnea guidance, we urge the House and Senate to follow through with swift approval of HR 3095." American Trucking Associations is the largest national trade association for the trucking industry. Through a federation of 50 affiliated state trucking associations and industry-related conferences and councils, ATA is the voice of the industry America depends on most to move our nation's freight. Follow ATA on Twitter or on Facebook . Good stuff. Trucks Bring It! SOURCE American Trucking Associations
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV