New Bill Could Remove Politics From Pennsylvania's Broken Building Codes Process
Bill proposed by Sen. McIlhinney driven by concern for health and safety of citizens and energy efficiency of buildings
PHILADELPHIA, Sept. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Next week, the Senate Labor and Industry Committee will hear testimony on Sen. Chuck McIlhinney's (R- Bucks) bill that would revamp Pennsylvania's building code adoption process by allowing the Review and Advisory Committee (RAC) tasked with updating building codes in the state to return to an automatic code adoption process for triennial codes as set forth by the International Codes Council (ICC). The committee hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, September 24 in Harrisburg.
"It's inexcusable that Pennsylvania is operating with out-of-date building codes because an unelected group of industry representatives decided code updates were not in their best interests," said Andrew Sharp, southeastern Pennsylvania outreach coordinator for PennFuture. "Not adopting revised codes every three years puts Pennsylvanians at risk in addition to forgoing key energy savings for homeowners. Maintaining modern building codes is in the best interest of the public, so why isn't Pennsylvania doing so?"
Ahead of the hearing, PennFuture announced the launch of BuildItSafe.org , a web portal which aims to inform the public about the importance of modern building codes and how Pennsylvania has put building industry profits above the safety, well being, and economic benefit of its citizens.Codes contain a set of minimum requirements for design and construction of new buildings including standards for electrical, plumbing and energy performance that help ensure the safety and energy efficiency of buildings. New codes also help grow the economy by creating demand for skilled workers and high-quality building materials.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV