LANSING, Mich., Sept. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- General Motors and seven of its facilities are being recognized by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality for longtime support of environment-focused community collaboration. GM remains the leader for most Neighborhood Environmental Partner awards granted since the program began in 2005.
GM received the department's inaugural NEP Longevity Award recognizing companies that have participated in the program for five or more years. It encourages and rewards businesses and their neighbors who work together on environmental projects. This is the seventh straight year GM has received NEP awards.
"GM is committed to reducing our facilities' environmental impact while also improving the communities in which we operate," said David Tulauskas, GM director of sustainability. "We share the same ecosystem as our neighbors and enjoy exchanging our knowledge, best practices and hands-on experiences."
Seven GM facilities received Neighborhood Environmental Partner awards for individual efforts and environmental programs. Those recognized are Lansing Delta Township Assembly, Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly, Orion Assembly, Warren Transmission, Flint Assembly, Romulus Engine and Flint Metal Center.These sites integrate GM efforts to reduce its worldwide facilities' environmental impact through energy efficiency, resource preservation and waste reduction throughout their communities. For example:
- All participated in GM GREEN (Global Rivers Environmental Education Network) by monitoring rivers with local students and examining watershed impacts.
- All celebrated Earth and Arbor Day with activities such as tree plantings and butterfly house builds, many of which involved collaboration with area schools.
- Four plants feature natural habitat certified by the Wildlife Habitat Council, which are developed to enhance and protect wildlife and educate communities on conservation.
- Two plants are landfill-free, recycling, reusing or converting to energy all waste from daily operations.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts