NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- This week's news that the Federal Reserve is not yet ready to cut back on stimulus programs has sent the S&P 500 to new record highs, and left many investors with the idea that it is too late to move into new positions in U.S. assets.
At the same time, we have seen pronounced weakness in many foreign markets as declining economic data have added an element of uncertainty and increased risk.
But for those with longer-term time horizons, there are examples of cheap dividend exchange-traded funds with international exposure that are designed to generate income and able to weather any near-term volatility that might be seen as the market adjusts to new central bank stimulus projections.
Momentum is supportive, as well. Dividend ETFs have posted strong reversals from the lows see last summer. Since the market is now positioning for a low interest rate environment that extends into 2015, income plays will trade at a premium. Economic data in Asia and the eurozone have shown evidence of stabilization, so it will be important for investors to consider moving into dividend products with international exposure into the final months of the year.Of course, positions in this space are accompanied by added volatility in most cases. So the ETFs suggested below will be most appropriate for investors with a higher risk tolerance and broader time horizons. Global ETFs With Yields Above 6% First, we look at the Global X Super Dividend Fund (SDIV), which offers exposure to a weighted basket that includes 100 high-yielding global stocks. Roughly one-third of the fund is made up of U.S. companies but the remainder allows access to assets in Australia, Canada, Latin America, Asia and the eurozone.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV