At suppressed levels, the lack of tapering led to a heavy inflow into gold, a traditional inflation hedge, and similarly gold stocks were bid higher.
On the chart below, you can see the drastic spike in price action highlighted in the blue box. With tapering off the table for at least the next few weeks, expect this index to trend higher toward its August highs.
The next chart is of iShares JPMorgan USD Emerging Markets Bond (EMB).Emerging-market debt has benefited from the low interest rate environment. Emerging markets carry the added risk of default and vulnerability to large outflows of funds from their economies. Investors feared that tapering could mean a lack of liquidity for emerging economies as well as slower growth due to more expensive borrowing rates. Follow @AndrewSachais This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV