SWIFTWATER, Pa., Sept. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- To help encourage more Americans to get their annual flu shot, Sanofi Pasteur announced today the launch of a national campaign to round up The FLUgitives™ – people who haven't yet been vaccinated against the flu this season.
These #FLUgitives live in every town in America; they could be hiding in your workplace, your gym, the grocery store, or even in your own home. Each year in the U.S., 1 in 5 people, or up to 20 percent of the population, gets the flu and an estimated 226,000 people are hospitalized from influenza-related complications. [i],[ii] But since the single most important thing adults can do to help prevent spreading the flu is to get their annual flu vaccination, these #FLUgitives should not wait.
"Because flu season can begin as early as October and last through May, the best prevention for those planning to get their annual flu shot is to get it as early as possible in the season, i allowing your body time to build up its immunity," [iii] said Carlos E. Picone, M.D., F.C.C.P., Vice-Chair of the Department of Internal Medicine at Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, D.C. "There's no need to be a FLUgitive this year; speak with your healthcare provider about vaccination and your vaccination options, including Fluzone Intradermal vaccine."
Starting today, #FLUgitives are encouraged to come out of hiding, round up other #FLUgitives and turn themselves in to their healthcare provider to learn about the seriousness of influenza and their available vaccine options. One option is Fluzone ® Intradermal vaccine, which uses a next-generation device with a tiny needle to quickly deliver flu vaccine just under the skin's surface.Research has shown that social influences are a primary factor in the adoption of health behaviors. [iv],[v],[vi],[vii] The FLUgitives campaign leverages the positive power of social peer influence to drive more people to help protect themselves against the flu by getting vaccinated and features four #FLUgitives whom everyone might know – or may even relate to themselves:
- The Scaredy Cat , whose anxiety about everything delays him getting a vaccine he knows he needs
- The Turbo Mom , whose hectic schedule leaves little time for focusing on her own health
- The Latest and Greatest Guy , who wants the newest version of everything, but has yet to learn about the latest in vaccine-delivery technology
- The Fitness Fanatic , who puts his workout before anything else – including his health.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts