Updated from 8:01 A.M. EDT to provide company comment in the third paragraph and comments about stock in the 10th paragraph.
In a curious series of tweets, Musk, who regularly uses the social media platform to help promote his Palo Alto, Calif.-based company, asked for engineers to join Tesla's autonomous driving program. The team will report directly to Musk, according to his tweets.
Tesla declined to comment on Elon's tweets regarding the autopilot system for the Model S.
Intense effort underway at Tesla to develop a practical autopilot system for Model S— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 18, 2013
Engineers interested in working on autonomous driving, pls email email@example.com. Team will report directly to me.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 18, 2013
Approach is 360 deg flush mounted tiny cameras + radar (prob not lidar). Lot of software & hardware level image processing.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 18, 2013Musk has said in the past that he would like to develop an auto-pilot software program for the Model S. Developing an auto-pilot program seems like a curious decision, given the favorable reviews the Model S has received so far. Consumer Reports gave the Model S its highest grade ever. Motor Trend has already awarded the Model S the car of the year, and several other publications have been exceptionally favorable towards the car. Note: I recently reviewed the Model S. My thoughts and video footage of the test drive will be published shortly. Tesla shares were higher in Thursday trading, after Deutsche Bank analyst Dan Graves boosted his price target to $200 from $160. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV