NEW YORK, Sept. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mortgage rates declined for a second week in a row, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate pulling back to 4.66 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.29 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage fell to 3.7 percent, while the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage rate dropped to 4.77 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were lower across the board. The popular 5-year adjustable rate sank to 3.55 percent, while the 10-year ARM retreated to 4.2 percent.Mortgage rates have been down for two weeks in a row and with the Federal Reserve deciding not to start scaling back their stimulus, this will keep a lid on mortgage rates for the time being. The slow growth economy, high unemployment, and the looming government budget and debt ceiling debates gave the Fed all the cover they needed to hold off on tapering at this point. However, once the tapering inevitably starts, mortgage rates will likely resume the upward climb. As recently as May 1 st, the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate was 3.52 percent. At that time, a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $900.32. With the average rate currently at 4.66 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $1,032.47, a difference of $132 per month for anyone that waited too long. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 4.66% -- down from 4.71% last week (avg. points: 0.29) 15-year fixed: 3.70% -- down from 3.75% last week (avg. points: 0.24)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV