Chris Lau, Kapitall: The Lumia smartphone, already powered by Windows, is now owned by Microsoft. And they're making it cheaper.
Demand for what is now Microsoft’s (MSFT) Windows-powered premium Lumia smartphone may rise in the near future, thanks to a price cut and an unmatched camera. This might also help Microsoft shares, which have pushed into the $30-36 range since July. Microsoft will be hoping sales increase before it reports earnings on October 14. Nokia (NOK), which sold its devices unit to Microsoft, could also benefit from the positive strength in sales of Lumia.
A price cut is likely to boost customer interest in Lumia smartphones. Microsoft announced that it lowered the price of the Lumia 1020 to $199, down from $299 on a 2-year contract with AT&T (T). Microsoft is even throwing in a Nokia camera grip, which it says is worth $79.[Read more from Kapitall: Twitter IPO 5 Hot Stocks to Watch Instead] AT&T shares have been mostly flat in the last six months, compared to Microsoft and Nokia. AT&T offers a $1.80 per share dividend, which is a yield of 5.24%. Click on the interactive charts below to see data over time. Sourced from Zacks Investment Research. Great features At a lower price point, consumers previously not interested in the Lumia 1020 might consider the phone’s feature set. The 1020 has a better backside illumination sensor, optical stabilization, six lens elements, and a 1280×720 screen. Competition No other smartphone maker compares to the Lumia 1020’s camera, but Sony (SNE) is close. The conglomerate and maker of Android smartphones developed a QX10/QX100, which supports an attachable lens-style camera. Sony shares are outperforming Microsoft over a one year period. This can be partly attributed to shareholder activism, calling for the company to split its entertainment unit to raise the value of its shares:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV