NORFOLK, Va., Sept. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Norfolk Southern's (NYSE: NSC) Pier 6 at Lamberts Point again has loaded a record amount of coal into a single ocean-going vessel.
Yesterday, Sept. 17, Norfolk Southern employees finished loading 166,840 net tons, or 151,356 metric tons, of metallurgical coal into the 984-foot M/V China Pioneer, which departed at high tide for Liuzhou Iron and Steel in China, by way of Trinidad. That's a record for Pier 6 and for the entire Port of Hampton Roads, and it comes just as Pier 6 acknowledges its 50th anniversary today.
The coal was shipped by Integrity Coal Sales International in 1,561 railroad coal cars. Anders Williams Resources Inc. was the ship agent/broker.
NS set its previous Pier 6 record Jan. 12, 2013, by loading 159,941.45 net tons into the M/V Cape Dover.The previous Port of Hampton Roads record was set Feb. 9, 1992, when Dominion Terminal Associates loaded 163,765 net tons into the M/V Ormond. "The fact that this new record comes at Pier 6's 50th birthday is a big exclamation point," said Mark H. Bower, NS group vice president, export, metallurgical, and industrial coal marketing. "It again demonstrates that NS and our production and sales partners are the experienced, safe, and reliable team for getting American coal to the world's utilities and coke plants." Norfolk Southern has been transferring coal and coke from railroad cars into ocean-going export and domestic vessels in the Lamberts Point area since 1884, when it opened Pier 1. In the first half of the 1900s, new Piers 2-5 featured improvements in speed and capacity and even loaded coal into a number of famous vessels, such as those used in Admiral Byrd's 1933 Antarctica expedition.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV