To broaden the pool of recruits, both firms and the industry must engage with students and determine ways to develop a stronger presence in their lives early on, such as:
- Regular attendance at career fairs – be ready to engage students and be armed with tools that promote the benefits of being an advisor
- Deeper involvement with the children of clients and various centers of influence – extend social invitations to the whole family and encourage career discussions
- Internships – offer internships after freshman and sophomore years when students are ripe looking for career ideas to pursue. Graduate internships are crucial in providing a trial period for both the business and the graduate
- Outreach to professors and career counselors – offer networking opportunities and informational resources
To obtain a copy of "ReGENeration: How Gen Y Could Revitalize the Industry and Bring New Life to Your Firm," or to learn more tips on how to better recruit Gen Y financial advisors, please visit pershing.com/regen.
Pershing and its affiliates provide global financial business solutions to approximately 1,600 financial organizations, broker-dealers, registered investment advisory firms, advisors, fund managers and asset managers who represent over 5.6 million active accounts. Located in 23 offices worldwide, Pershing delivers dependable operational support, robust trading services, flexible technology, an expansive array of investment solutions, practice management support and service excellence. Pershing is a member of every major U.S. securities exchange, and its international affiliates are members of the Deutsche Borse, Australian Stock Exchange, Irish Stock Exchange, London Stock Exchange and Toronto Stock Exchange. Pershing LLC (member FINRA/NYSE/SIPC) is a BNY Mellon company. Additional information is available on pershing.com, or follow us on Twitter @Pershing.
BNY Mellon is a global investments company dedicated to helping its clients manage and service their financial assets throughout the investment lifecycle. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, BNY Mellon delivers informed investment management and investment services in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. As of June 30, 2013, BNY Mellon had $26.2 trillion in assets under custody and/or administration, and $1.4 trillion in assets under management. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments. BNY Mellon is the corporate brand of The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation (NYSE: BK). Additional information is available on www.bnymellon.com, or follow us on Twitter @BNYMellon.SOURCE BNY Mellon
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts