JERSEY CITY, N.J., Sept. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Pershing LLC, a BNY Mellon company, today released its first-ever research report on college students' career priorities and their potential to become tomorrow's financial advisors. The study entitled, "ReGENeration: How Gen Y Could Revitalize the Industry and Bring New Life to Your Firm," was commissioned in response to the industry's talent crisis in the hopes of improving recruitment efforts. It is designed to help firms better understand college students' priorities when choosing a career, to identify students' trusted sources for information, and to gauge prospective graduates' familiarity with the financial advisor profession.
"The talent shortage in the advisory business becomes increasingly dire every year," said Kim Dellarocca, head of practice management and director of segment marketing at Pershing. "Gen Y has much more to offer than simply refilling the pipeline. They bring fresh perspectives, new ideas and modern skill sets that can help businesses prosper now and in the future. Given their contribution potential, it is critically important for the industry to better educate students about the benefits of pursuing a career in the advisory business."
Pershing's study, which was based on the data from a survey, conducted by Harris Interactive in May 2013, of 500 undergraduate students enrolled in full-time or part-time at four-year U.S. colleges, revealed that students career interests and goals are closely aligned to that of the growth path of an advisor.
The Pershing survey found that students want the following:
- 88% agree they want to work in a career where a job cannot be outsourced
- 90% agree that they want to work in a career that is in a growing field
- 97% agree that they are willing to work hard to earn more money
- 82% say that it's important or very important to choose a career that has a positive impact on other people's lives
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts