So while he's seen as a Democrat, he's not seen as outside the mainstream. The stance also helps grow the company's international footprint. Schultz's politics are seen as benign.
Right now most of Starbucks issues are similar to those which bedeviled another American icon, McDonald's (MCD), when it first sought global domination. McDonald's is a little more than twice as big as Starbucks. There are two issues here -- adapting the product to local tastes, and extending the sales day.
McDonald's rolled out veggie burgers in India, along with kosher and halal food in the Middle East. Starbucks has bought a second tea brand, Teavana, the Evolution Fresh juice brand and Pascal Rigo's La Boulange bakery chain. Starbucks has even experimented with selling beer, wine and small plates in some markets, which it calls Starbucks Evenings.
Thus, in a market that some call overheated, Starbucks is selling at an insane (for a food company) multiple of 36.5 times its earnings, and nearly five times its sales. Yet it remains on the buy lists for most analysts, having quadrupled in value over the last five years, rising 42% in 2013 alone. Our Chuck Carnavale is also a big fan.Five years ago Starbucks closed all its stores for a night of retraining and staff pep talks, then it closed 600 stores. Today Starbucks is through the crisis, the stock is a blue chip and CEO Schultz is a business legend. That's the kind of story America likes to sell, and it's also the kind of story the world likes to buy from us. At the time of publication the author held MCD. Follow @DanaBlankenhor This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV