NEW YORK, Sept. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Kids around the globe have a reason to celebrate: they set a new world record for summer reading! As part of the Scholastic Summer Challenge, a free program designed to keep kids reading throughout the summer months when school is out, kids representing all 50 states and 30 countries read and logged an impressive 176,438,473 minutes, breaking last year's world record of 95,859,491 minutes. In addition to logging their minutes, children participated in weekly reading challenges, earned virtual rewards and contributed to their school's overall minutes. Of the 4,284 schools that participated, Jackson Elementary School in McAllen, TX ranks as the #1 school for logging the most minutes, and wins a visit from Dav Pilkey, author of the bestselling Captain Underpants series.
The Top 20 schools that read and logged the most minutes will be listed in the 2014 Scholastic Book of World Records , which will be available through the Scholastic Reading Club, Scholastic Book Fairs, and book stores nationwide; each of these schools will also receive a personalized plaque.
"We are extremely impressed with the amount of reading kids did to help set an outstanding new world record for summer reading," said Francie Alexander, Chief Academic Officer at Scholastic. "Now that these kids have proved they have reading stamina and can read for many minutes, we encourage them to continue to read independently throughout the school year so they are better prepared to meet rigorous standards and can continue to find books they love."The Top 20 Schools in the 2013 Scholastic Summer Challenge are:
- Jackson Elementary School, McAllen, TX, 6,333,482 (minutes read)
- Sun Valley Elementary School, Monroe, NC, 6,042,663
- Dovalina Elementary School, Laredo, TX, 5,359,066
- Liberty Park Elementary School, Greenacres, FL, 4,206,222
- Hill Intermediate School, Houston, TX, 3,039,434
- St. Aloysius School, Baton Rouge, LA 2,933,169
- Odom Elementary School, Houston, TX, 2,771,182
- Hunter's Creek Elementary School, Orlando, FL, 2,565,217
- Flora Ridge Elementary School, Kissimmee, FL, 2,548,754
- Timber Trace Elementary School, Palm Beach Gardens, FL, 2,288,345
- Reedy Creek Elementary School, Kissimmee, FL, 2,238,484
- Rayford Road Intermediate School, Humble, TX, 2,183,113
- Oakridge Middle School, Clover, SC, 2,122,819
- Worsham Elementary School, Houston, TX, 1,898,592
- Newell Elementary School, Allentown, NJ, 1,885,364
- Coral Reef Elementary School, Lake Worth, FL, 1,673,656
- Stuart Public School, Stuart, NE, 1,639,619
- Raymond Academy, Houston, TX, 1,623,279
- Thompson Elementary School, Houston, TX, 1,604,302
- Riverview Elementary School, Saratoga Springs, UT, 1,495,565
- This summer, kids read 176,438,473 minutes for the @Scholastic Summer Challenge & set a new world record for #SummerReading!
- Check out scholastic.com/summer to see if your school is a Top 20 school for #SummerReading minutes in the @Scholastic Summer Challenge!
- Whoa! More than 133k students joined the @Scholastic Summer Challenge and helped break the world record! #SummerReading