The Hershey Company (NYSE: HSY) and Barry Callebaut:
- Rural school will provide educational facilities and nutrition and health support for more than 150 children
- Cocoa farmers to receive training to raise family incomes
Addressing a critical community need in the western cocoa-growing region of Côte d’Ivoire, The Hershey Company (NYSE: HSY) and Barry Callebaut announced today the completion of a primary school, community and farmer training center.
Located in the Abokro, Gabiadji, Bas-Sassandra region of Côte d’Ivoire, the school and community center will be fully operational for the 2013-14 school year. Approximately 150 primary-school-age children from 24 nearby hamlets and villages are enrolled in the new school. The project is a joint community partnership between Hershey and Barry Callebaut.
The rural regions of Côte d’Ivoire suffer from a lack of modern primary school buildings and the new Abokro school will address a long-standing community development need. The Hershey Learn to Grow Abokro school includes three furnished classrooms equipped with solar-powered lighting fixtures, a solar-powered water well, an infirmary, a school canteen at which subsidized meals will be offered, as well as housing for professional teachers and medical staff. Barry Callebaut has previously constructed a medical facility in Goh and the company processes large volumes of cocoa at its nearby San Pedro facility.Hershey Learn to Grow The Hershey Learn to Grow initiative exemplifies Hershey’s commitment to serving communities in cocoa growing regions. It modernizes cocoa farming techniques, increases the yield of cocoa production, and thus improves the livelihoods of cocoa farmers and their families. Hershey Learn to Grow features farmer and community projects in Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana and Nigeria. In Côte d’Ivoire, the Hershey Learn to Grow program will focus on primary education through the Abokro school project, but will also include cocoa farmer training in partnership with Barry Callebaut’s Cocoa Horizons program.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV