By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Option activity has been heavy in the energy space for months, and Tuesday traders set their sights on Whiting Petroleum (WLL).
OptionMonster's tracking systems showed volume in the September 55 and October 57.50 calls. Traders were rolling positions out in time and up in price from one strike to the other, unloading the 55s for about 90 cents and buying the 57.50s for $1.43. They also snapped up the October 60 calls.
These calls lock in the purchase price for the stock and can generate significant leverage in a rally, while limiting losses if the shares fall. Rolling the position forward provides an additional month to ride the stock higher, but the new calls will expire worthless if the stock remains below $57.50 through mid-October.Whiting's shares rose 3.71% to $54.78 on Tuesday. The independent oil and gas company is engaged in exploration, development, and production primarily in the Rocky Mountains, Permian Basin, Michigan, and Gulf Coast regions. More than 24,000 options traded overall in name Tuesday, about 14 times its average amount. Of those, almost 22,000 were calls -- a further indication of the session's bullish sentiment. Najarian owns WLL calls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV