NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- While many investors have been hating the teen retail sector, one management team has found that there may be some value to unlock, said TheStreet's Laurie Kulikowski.
She told Brittany Umar that Sycamore Fund's Hummingbird LLC took an 8% stake in Aeropostale (ARO). The firm clearly sees value in the retailer and Stifel Nicolaus came out with a note suggesting the company may try and go private at $10 per share.
Last week, August retail sales came in worse than expected and it now seems that holiday sales will rise by less than they did last year, she said.
Kulikowski noted that many retailers were cutting guidance for the back half of 2013 and she suspects the promotional environment is here to stay, so long as sales continue to struggle.But not all retailers have been struggling. She concluded that consumers haven't been spending on apparel, but holiday shopping should be strong in electronics, particularly for a company like Apple (AAPL). -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV