One options player made a big bet against INTC and opened a hefty put spread on the chipmaker Friday. With the stock moving up $0.81 to $23.44 on the day, the investor bought 50,000 October 22 puts on INTC for $0.24 and sold 50,000 October 20 puts at $0.06. The October 20 - 22 put spread, for $0.18, was an opening position, according to today's open interest numbers.
The new position seems to be expressing a very bearish view on the stock for the next few weeks. The October 20 and 22 puts are now the largest blocks of open interest in the name. The downside breakeven to the spread through the expiration is at $21.82, or a 7% drop over the next 32 days. The potential profit is $1.82 if shares plunge 14.7% and fall below the $20 strike.
It's not clear what motivated the unusually large spread in INTC Friday. Bernstein analysts had a cautious note on the stock late last month noting a slowdown in the company's core PC markets amid an ongoing shift in the definition of "computing devises." Now, the bearish options activity comes ahead of earnings, expected around October 15th. Some investors are possibly concerned that the company will again disappoint, as it has in three of the past four quarters (see table above). In other words, the big put spread is expressing skepticism that INTC can live up to the recent hype that is driving the 7.6% month-to-date rebound in the stock price.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits Henry can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionAlert
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV