NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Homebuilder confidence remained high in September but signs of waning interest from homebuyers are a cause for concern.
The National Association of Homebuilders/Wells Fargo Housing Market Index, which measures builder confidence in the market for newly built single-family homes, had a reading of 58 in September, unchanged from the previous month.
The index gauges builder perceptions of current single-family home sales and sales expectations in the next six months as well as their perceptions of traffic of prospective buyers.
A reading over 50 indicates that more builders view conditions as good rather than poor.While builder confidence has remained steady, many are reporting hesitancy on the part of buyers due to the sharp increase in mortgage rates. "Following a solid run-up in builder confidence over the past year, we are seeing a pause in the momentum as consumers wait to see where interest rates settle and as the headwinds of tight credit, shrinking supplies of lots for development and increasing labor costs continue," noted NAHB Chief Economist David Crowe. On Wednesday, the Census Bureau will release housing starts data. Homebuilders are expected to have begun construction on 915,000 homes on an annualized, seasonally adjusted basis in September, according to economists polled by Bloomberg. Builders have actually been slow to ramp up construction despite a shortage of inventory in the market. With the high cost of land, materials and labor, and tight credit conditions, builders have chosen to keep inventory lean and raise prices to boost their margins. But with buyer demand waning, homebuilders may have to reconsider their recent price hikes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV