LITTLE ROCK, Ark., Sept. 17, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Windstream (Nasdaq:WIN), a leading provider of advanced network communications, announced today that it has been awarded a contract to provide voice, data, and Internet services for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in its Region 4 area, encompassing 11 states in the northeastern United States. The contract is for a baseline amount of $12 million but can extend to as much as $20 million over five years.
Prior to this contact, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) contracted with hundreds of vendors providing local service to thousands of its facilities throughout the United States. In 2013, the VA took steps to eliminate the administrative expenses associated with the number of telecommunications vendors by creating four geographic regions, each with multiple Veterans Information Service Networks, and contracting with a single vendor for each region. The VA's Region 4 was the first of these consolidated procurement contracts to be awarded.
"As the largest national competitive local exchange carrier (CLEC), Windstream was ideally positioned with our network footprint and coverage to deliver both the costs savings anticipated by the Department of Veterans Affairs, but also with an increase in service quality," said Mike Magliato, vice president and general manager of federal markets at Windstream. "Additionally, our federal government portal, developed to support federal initiatives such as the VA contract consolidation, will ensure that the ongoing management and resources expended by the VA nationwide will significantly decrease. We believe this is truly a win – for both the federal government as well as the veterans of our country."Region 4 oversees more than 300 VA facilities, including VA hospitals, clinics, cemeteries, and call centers, among others. Windstream was selected for this critical contract for several reasons, including:
- The company has a strong history of providing superior voice, data, and Internet services to the federal government, and as the telecommunications provider of choice, provides service to nearly every government agency.
- Windstream provides end-to-end solutions, allowing it to deliver services without engaging third party vendors.
- Windstream's technical expertise in network communications technology and managed services, as well as its custom portal for automated business transactions, meets the federal government's requirements.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV