ABBOTT PARK, Ill., Sept. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Abbott (NYSE: ABT) announced today it has received CE Marking (Conformite Europeenne) in Europe for the FreeStyle Optium Neo Blood Glucose and Ketone Monitoring System ™. The new icon-driven system provides sleek design, visual glucose trend indicators and insulin logging – all delivered in a single device to support daily diabetes management.
According to the World Health Organization, the prevalence of diabetes is increasing in the European region. Nearly 20 percent of women and men aged 25 years and older in Europe are living with diabetes[i], which makes diabetes one of the most prevalent chronic conditions.
Features of Abbott's FreeStyle Optium Neo System include:
- A high contrast, icon-driven display designed for ease-of-use
- Small, sleek meter design
- Blood glucose trend indicators, which visually notify patients when they are experiencing hypo- or hyperglycemic trends (low or high blood glucose levels)
- An insulin dose feature, which allows healthcare professionals to program a patient's insulin plan into the meter. Beginning from the physician's recommendation in the dose guide, the meter is designed to allow patients to log actual insulin doses by tapping the arrows up or down. This feature is designed to enable patients and their healthcare professionals to review logged insulin doses along with glucose results.
"The FreeStyle Optium Neo System is our latest advance based on the innovative technology that is at the heart of both our Precision and Optium products. It combines powerful features, ease-of-use and the ability to analyze important glucose trends in a single device," said Heather Mason, senior vice president, Diabetes Care, Abbott. "The device's advanced design and technology enables the ability to track glucose trends and log insulin, which may help improve the patient's daily diabetes management. This system is one more example of how Abbott is focused on meeting the needs of patients."The system is designed to be used with FreeStyle Optium blood glucose and ketone test strips, which are currently available in Europe. Abbott recently marked the 25 th anniversary of its invention of commercial biosensor technology for diabetes patients, the forerunner of today's FreeStyle Precision and FreeStyle Optium strips. Abbott's FreeStyle Optium Neo System will be available throughout Europe in the coming weeks. Individuals with diabetes who are interested in the FreeStyle Optium Neo System should consult with their healthcare professional. About Abbott Diabetes Care Abbott Diabetes Care, based in Alameda, California, is a leader in developing, manufacturing and marketing glucose monitoring systems designed to help people better manage their diabetes. Additional information about Abbott Diabetes Care may be found at www.abbottdiabetescare.com. About Abbott Abbott is a global healthcare company devoted to improving life through the development of products and technologies that span the breadth of healthcare. With a portfolio of leading, science-based offerings in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals, Abbott serves people in more than 150 countries and employs approximately 70,000 people.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV