NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Nokia (NOK) says we should expect an announcement some time next month that will "reinvent innovation." Strong words. The Finland technology innovator alerted journalists the world over, via Twitter of course, to set aside October 22nd for a very special announcement...
We'll be waiting.
Until then, information has been leaking through the usual sources about a possible late-September introduction for Nokia's Lumia 1520 - a smartphone with a 6-inch screen running on an upgraded version (8.1) of Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows Phone operating system.
According to Reuters, Nokia had been rumored to be planning a release of the new device sometime this month. But the Microsoft-Nokia deal announced last week delayed the super-sized phone's introduction. Nokia shares traded in New York were rising 1.2% to $6.20 on Tuesday while and Microsoft shares were gaining 0.9% to $33.11 after announcing a share buyback program of as large as $40 billion.
For the short-term, Nokia and Microsoft are still being operated as separate companies, though their $7.2 billion deal is expected to close "around the first quarter of 2014".
None of this will "reinvent innovation." For that, Nokia has asked us to wait until October. Written by Gary Krakow in New York To submit a news tip, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV