Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN), the network specialist, announced today that Fibertech Networks, a provider of metro-based fiber optic network services to customers in the eastern and central United States, has deployed Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform and Service Delivery Switches. This has allowed Fibertech to provide high-capacity 100GbE Ethernet-based services and applications to service provider customers, large enterprises, and facilities in the higher education, healthcare, and government verticals.
- Fibertech Networks, a leading provider in fiber-optic based network services, has built metro-area fiber networks in 29 mid-size markets in the Eastern and Central regions of the United States. The company currently owns and operates a fiber optic network of over 9,000 route miles and more than 8,000 on-net buildings.
- With Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform powered by WaveLogic 3 Coherent Optical Processors, Fibertech has implemented 100G metro Ethernet services to the enterprise. This provides enterprises the necessary bandwidth to meet all of their critical business needs, including high-speed data center connectivity, digital media transmission and on-demand video retrieval, HD and 3D video for telemedicine/telesurgery applications and ultra-low latency networking solutions.
- Fibertech is also leveraging Ciena’s OneControl Unified Management solution for comprehensive unified management, visualization and control of the network, as well as Ciena 3930 and 3916 Service Delivery Switches, which equip Fibertech to reliably scale its packet-based services.
- In addition, as a Managed Service Provider within Ciena’s BizConnect partner program, Fibertech can leverage proven sales strategies and innovative marketing programs to introduce Ciena’s portfolio to enterprises and other prospects in the market.
- “Providing this large amount of data to the end user demonstrates our ability to implement and support the ever-growing bandwidth needs of our customers. By deploying Ciena’s packet-optical and packet networking solutions we can continue to leverage our fiber infrastructure and expand out to cost-effectively reach more businesses.”
- Earl Ipsaro, vice president of engineering at Fibertech
- “We are seeing an increasing need for high-capacity, programmable networks to serve our joint customers. Network convergence and service velocity are also both top-of-mind. Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform and OneControl management solution, both key elements of our OP n network architecture approach, help Fibertech to unlock the full potential of its fiber assets. Additionally, our collaboration with Fibertech – also a BizConnect Partner – has resulted in a number of strategic enterprise and public sector wins, and the expanding addressable markets within these segments create opportunity for accelerated growth.”
- Jason Phipps, general manager of global enterprise and government market verticals at Ciena
- Ciena is the pioneer and market leader of coherent optical technology with 27,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces shipped to more than 150 customers across the globe, with more than 25 million coherent kilometers deployed.
- Ciena’s converged packet-optical solutions not only scale networks to 100G and beyond, but also offer integrated packet switching for efficient Ethernet aggregation and transport over an optical infrastructure to help operators quickly and cost-effectively manage the surging demand for Ethernet services connectivity – from the network access to the metro core. Ciena’s packet networking portfolio and OneControl Unified Management System enable rapid and efficient service turn-up, monitoring and troubleshooting across packet and optical domains.
- Application Note: Enabling a Bigger and Smarter Network with Ciena's WaveLogic 3
- Product Overview: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Product Overview: OneControl Unified Management System