TUCSON, Ariz., Sept. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Air Force awarded Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) a $14 million Lot 2 contract to continue full rate production of High-Speed Anti-Radiation Missile (HARM) Control Section Modification (HCSM) upgrade units.
The modification adds a GPS receiver and an improved inertial measurement unit (IMU) for precision navigation to the existing HARM. HCSM also features a digital flight computer that merges targeting solutions from navigation and seeker systems.
"HCSM upgrades to the HARM allow the enhanced weapon to precisely engage the target set," said Jack Roosa, HARM program director for Raytheon Missile Systems. "These upgrades negate many counter tactics of sophisticated radar-directed defenses and add a stand-off, high-speed strike capability against time critical targets of known location."
Raytheon began modification of existing HARMs early this year. Delivery of HCSM units is scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2013. Raytheon has teamed with Honeywell, Rockwell Collins and others for the HCSM program.The contract was awarded in Raytheon's second quarter of 2013. About HARM and HCSM The AGM-88 High-Speed Anti-Radiation Missile is a key battlespace element to suppress or destroy surface-to-air missile radars, early warning radars and radar-directed air defense artillery systems. HARMs have made hostile airspaces worldwide safer for U.S. and allied warfighters. The missile resides in the inventories of eight countries.
- More than 4,000 HARMs have been employed in combat.
- HCSM adds GPS/IMU navigation accuracy, giving HARM the ability to engage time-critical targets.
- HCSM has new features that degrade counter-HARM tactics, while reducing the risk of fratricide or collateral damage.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts