Blackbaud (NASDAQ: BLKB) and hjc today released findings from their 2013 Next Generation of Canadian Giving study that uncovers the preferred giving and communication channels of four generations of Canadian donors: Generation Y (18-32); Generation X (33-48); Baby Boomers (49-67); and Civics (68+).
Among the study’s findings: Gen X is a rising force in philanthropy in Canada — quickly gaining on Boomers and Civics, the most generous generations. The study, which builds on a similar study conducted in 2010, is based on a major national survey of more than 800 Canadian donors, commissioned by Blackbaud, and produced by hjc, Edge Research and SeaChange Strategies.
“It is critical for nonprofits to address each generation so that they can attract and retain new donors without compromising revenue from their existing donor base,” said Michael Johnston, founder and president of hjc. “This study provides both strategic and practical guidance for fundraisers by demonstrating how Canadian donors in different age segments want to be communicated with and how they typically respond.”
Additional key findings of the study include:
- Gen X is giving in high numbers and is an important generation to watch.
- Multichannel is the new normal. While all generations are multi-channel in their communications habits, the ideal mix varies from generation to generation.
- Direct mail is far from dead, but it also won’t last forever. Gen Y and X are far more likely to give online, and as many Baby Boomers say they give online as via direct mail.
- Generation Y has distinct priorities and preferences with regard to causes they support. Notably, they are far more likely to demand accountability and transparency than older donors.
- The value of some channels, e.g. social media, is undervalued if measured by transaction, as opposed to engagement, metrics.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV