Sept. 17, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Boehringer Ingelheim and Eli Lilly and Company (Lilly; NYSE: LLY) today announced they will feature five oral and 12 poster presentations for linagliptin and the investigational compound
at the 49
Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD), which will take place in
A total of eight clinical abstracts for the investigational agent empagliflozin will be presented. Empagliflozin is a sodium glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitor being investigated for the reduction of blood glucose levels in adults with type 2 diabetes (T2D). The emerging SGLT2 inhibitor class removes excess glucose through the urine by blocking glucose re-absorption by the kidney.
Empagliflozin is an investigational compound. Its safety and efficacy have not been established.
Details of clinical presentations for empagliflozin are as follows:
Tuesday, September 24, 12:30–1:30 CET, General Poster Session
Tuesday, September 24, 1:45–2:45 CET, General Poster Session
- Empagliflozin as Add-on to Basal Insulin for 78 Weeks Improves Glycemic Control and Weight Loss in Insulin-Treated Type 2 Diabetes (T2DM) (Presenting Author: J. Rosenstock) [Poster No. 931]
- Safety and Efficacy of Empagliflozin Monotherapy in a 52-Week Study in Japanese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (Presenting Author: H. J. Woerle) [Poster No. 930]
- Metabolic Response to Sodium Glucose Transporter 2 (SGLT2) Inhibition with Empagliflozin in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes (T2D) (Presenting Author: E. Ferrannini) [Poster No. 932]
Wednesday, September 25, 12:30–1:30 CET, General Poster Session
- Empagliflozin Improves Blood Pressure in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes (T2DM) and Hypertension (Presenting Author: I. Tikkanen) [Poster No. 942]
- Empagliflozin Improved Glycemic Parameters and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes (T2DM): Pooled Data from Four Pivotal Phase III Trials (Presenting Author: T. Hach) [Poster No. 943]
- Design of the Empagliflozin Cardiovascular Outcome Event Trial in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (Presenting Author: S. E. Inzucchi) [Poster No. 944]
Thursday, September 26, 3:00 – 4:30 CET, Oral Presentation
- Empagliflozin in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) and Stage 3A, 3B and 4 Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) (Presenting Author: A. Mithal) [Poster No. 952]
- The Sodium Glucose Co-Transporter-2 (SGLT2) Inhibitor Empagliflozin Improves Glycemic Control in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: A Single-Arm Clinical Trial (Presenting Author: B. A. Perkins) [Oral Presentation No. 31]
A total of nine clinical and pre-clinical abstracts for linagliptin will also be presented. Linagliptin is an inhibitor of the enzyme, dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4), which breaks down the incretin hormones glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) that are involved with regulating blood sugar.