Stratasys Ltd. (NASDAQ:SSYS), a manufacturer of 3D printers and materials for personal use, prototyping and production, today announced that Camilo Alvarez, one of the leading fashion designers in Colombia, has produced his “Botanicracia” Spring/Summer 2014 collection using Stratasys 3D printing technology. The collection was just launched at Colombiamoda 2013 in Medellin, bringing 3D printing to Colombia’s catwalk.
Inspired by the coexistence of nature and urban technology as well as 3D printed fashion in France, Japan and the United States, Alvarez wanted to create a unique 3D accessories collection for men and women. The collection features caps, bracelets, glasses and toecaps and also dresses that incorporate a central plastic structure and knits.
The collection was created with the help of Stratasys authorized reseller USM Colombia S.A., using the Objet260 Connex and Objet500 Connex multi-material 3D Printers as well as the Objet Eden 3D Printer. The ability to print with multiple materials having different physical properties was the most important criteria for Alvarez when selecting the Connex 3D printing technology to bring his collection to life. This requirement is also evident in the work of other distinguished fashion designers such as Iris van Herpen and Rem D Koolhaas from the Netherlands and Japan’s Yuima Nakazato, and professor, designer and architect Neri Oxman.
Using Stratasys 3D Printers, Alvarez was able to incorporate complex geometric design practices and techniques in his work and prototype the final results for instant verification. “People who attended the show and those who came closer to see the products were amazed; many of them had never imagined that fashion objects and accessories could be 3D printed,” said Alvarez.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV