By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- The bulls piled into CareFusion (CFN) on Monday, looking for the medical-equipment stock to hit record highs.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of about 3,600 October 40 calls, most of which priced for 45 cents. Volume was more than 30 times previous open interest at the strike.
Such calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased, allowing investors to position for gains inexpensively while limited potential losses. But these contracts could expire worthless if shares remain below $40 through mid-October.CareFusion shares rose 2.04% to $37.94 Monday and are up 33% so far this year. The stock's all-time peak is $39.38, so Monday's traders expect new highs in coming weeks. Overall option volume was 17 times greater than average in the session, with calls accounting for a bullish 89% of the total. Russell has no positions in CFN.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV